Animals are the avatars that represent Jammers in Animal Jam Classic. There are a variety of animals for both members and non-members. Every Jammer can create and store multiple animal avatars and then switch between them. Non-members can only store two animals, but Jammers with a Membership can store one thousand animals at once.
New animal avatars can be purchased through the Switch Animals menu by clicking on the "Add Animal" button where an empty slot is available. When creating an animal, Jammers must choose a name that consists of three parts, and this name will stay with the animal forever. Most Animals will cost Diamonds to create for the first time, but any more made of the same type will only be 1,000 gems like all non-diamond Animals.
Jammers can recycle existing animals in storage by clicking the bin symbol in the Switch Animals menu and then selecting the animal to delete. Every Animal will return 500 Gems to the Jammer upon recycling. When an exclusive animal (such as one purchased with Diamonds or obtained through a promotional offer) is recycled, a new animal of that type can still be created at a price of 1,000 Gems; however, an animal cannot be recreated if it is currently listed as "Exploring", "Traveling", "Endangered", or is otherwise made unavailable.
Every animal can be customized through the Change Your Look menu. Animals have a primary color and a secondary color as well as a variety of eye shapes and Patterns to choose from. Each of the customization options includes a palette of fifty colors to make the animal unique.
Beyond changing the animal itself, Jammers can also customize their animals by adding clothing accessories. Land and flying animals can wear five pieces of clothing for their head, neck, body, legs, and tail. However, ocean animals can only wear four pieces of clothing, as they do not have tail-type accessories. All clothing is either for use in land areas or ocean areas, and they are not interchangeable. Animals that can go both on land and underwater, such as the seal, can have two different sets of clothing saved, one for over and one for underwater.
There are four main types of animals: land, ocean, amphibious, and flying. Land animals were the first type to be introduced and were initially the only type available in the game; they can be used in areas that are predominantly land and the majority of Adventures. Ocean animals were first introduced in September 2011, and they can only be used in the special Ocean areas and Adventures. Amphibious animals, as the name implies, share the areas of both Land and Ocean type animals. In February 2014, the flying type of Animal was released. They can explore any map that isn't underwater much more freely as they can simply fly over walls, but are only available for very few Adventures.
Every animal has an Adventure Level that is increased by collecting Courage Points while playing Adventures. An animal's level determines how many hearts it has in the Adventures. If a player has not finished the Training Grounds tutorial, all of their animals will be at level 0. Once the tutorial is completed, all current and future animals will start at level 1. The Adventure Level is visible on the far left side of Nametags while in the Adventures or one of the staging areas such as the Adventure Base Camp. Outside of these areas, it can be turned on or off through the Change Your Look menu, but this feature is for members only.
List of Animals
Animals will stay available to specific players who have purchased them even once they are removed from the 'Create an Animal' selection, but not all animals are currently available for all players.
|Arabian Horse||Land||Yes||September 19, 2019||10|
|Fennec Fox||Land||Yes||May 4, 2019||10|
|Great Horned Owl||Flying||Yes||December 6, 2018||10|
|Flamingo||Flying||Yes||August 3, 2017||10|
|Red Panda||Land||Yes||November 2, 2017||10|
|Sabertooth||Land||Yes||April 12, 2018||10|
|Direwolf||Land||Yes||May 24, 2018||10|
|Coyote||Land||Yes||May 25, 2017||10|
|Arctic Fox||Land||Yes||November 19, 2015||10|
|Polar Bear||Land and Ocean||Yes||November 20, 2014||10|
|Skunk||Land||Yes||March 7, 2019||10|
|Moose||Land||Yes||November 14, 2019||10|
|Snow Leopard||Land||Yes||November 29, 2012||10|
|Cheetah||Land||Yes||October 10, 2013||10|
|Clydesdale Horse||Land||Yes||January 18, 2018||10|
|Camel||Land||Yes||August 8, 2019||10|
|Cougar||Land||Yes||March 16, 2017||10|
|Llama||Land||Yes||June 25, 2015||10|
|Sheep||Land||Yes||January 19, 2017||10|
|Toucan||Flying||Yes||November 17, 2016||10|
|Lemur||Land||Yes||September 15, 2016||10|
|Kangaroo||Land||Yes||July 25, 2013||10|
|Sloth||Land||Yes||July 21, 2016||5|
|Pig||Land||No||June 9, 2016||5|
|Hyena||Land||Yes||May 29, 2014||10|
|Arctic Wolf||Land||Yes||October 25, 2012||10|
|Otter||Land and Ocean||Yes||August 21, 2014||10|
|Eagle||Flying||Yes||February 20, 2014||10|
|Lynx||Land||Yes||August 20, 2015||10|
|Lion||Land||Yes||October 13, 2011||10|
|Owl||Flying||Yes||February 5, 2015||10|
|Falcon||Flying||Yes||January 21, 2016||10|
|Goat||Land||Yes||February 18, 2016||10|
|Bunny||Land||No||July 17, 2010||1,000|
|Wolf||Land||No||July 17, 2010||1,000|
|Fox||Land||Yes||July 19, 2012||1,000|
|Giraffe||Land||No||May 24, 2012||1,000|
|Raccoon||Land||Yes||February 28, 2013||1,000|
|Rhinoceros||Land||No||June 9, 2011||1,000|
|Tiger||Land||No||July 17, 2010||1,000|
|Elephant||Land||Yes||April 16, 2011||1,000|
|Deer||Land||Yes||December 5, 2013||1,000|
|Crocodile||Land||Yes||August 18, 2011||1,000|
|Seal||Land and Ocean||No||January 20, 2011||1,000|
|Koala||Land||No||July 17, 2010||1,000|
|Monkey||Land||No||July 17, 2010||1,000|
|Shark||Ocean||Yes||September 15, 2011||1,000|
|Sea Turtle||Ocean||No||October 27, 2011||1,000|
|Octopus||Ocean||Yes||March 29, 2012||1,000|
|Horse||Land||Yes||January 5, 2012||1,000|
|Dolphin||Ocean||Yes||September 15, 2011||1,000|
|Panda||Land||No||July 17, 2010||1,000|
|Penguin||Land and Ocean||No||February 17, 2012||1,000|
Additionally, variants of certain existing animals has started being made, typically referred to as 'Patterned Animals' by the community. They are the same as their standard variants in terms of animation, but usually have unique, themed patterns on their body and appearing as a trail beneath them. The only exception to this is the Legendary Eagle, which comes with multiple unique body patterns.
|Animal||Variant of||Type||Members-Only||Release Date||Price||Currently available?|
|Spring Bunny||Bunny||Land||No||April 16, 2015||Gift||No|
|Snowflake Arctic Wolf||Arctic Wolf||Land||Yes||May 11, 2017||10||No|
|Polar Arctic Fox||Arctic Fox||Land||Yes||March 1, 2018||10||No|
|Enchanted Eagle||Eagle||Flying||Yes||July 5, 2018||10||Yes|
|Autumn Coyote||Coyote||Land||Yes||August 16, 2018||10||Yes|
|Spooky Snow Leopard||Snow Leopard||Land||Yes||September 27, 2018||10||No|
|Fearsome Falcon||Falcon||Flying||Yes||January 1, 2019||10||No|
|Jamaaliday Deer||Deer||Land||Yes||November 29, 2018||1,000||Yes|
|Legendary Eagle||Eagle||Flying||Yes||November 21, 2018||Gift||Yes|
|Royal Red Panda||Red Panda||Land||Yes||April 18, 2019||10||No|
|Frolicking Fox||Fox||Land||Yes||August 22, 2019||10||Yes|
- A majority of the animals are restricted to players with a Membership and they cost Diamonds.
- The very first land animals, the Tiger, Wolf, Bunny, Koala, Panda, and Monkey are the same animals as the Alphas.
- Although it was released in January 2011 before the ocean areas were available, the first amphibious animal was the Seal.
- The first ocean animals were the Shark and the Dolphin.
- The first flying animal was the Eagle.
- The first extinct animal was the Sabertooth.
- The animal with the most variants is the Eagle, with 3.
- Due to a variety of glitches, it is possible to take an ocean animal into a land area; however, they will appear invisible when doing so. Similar glitches also allow Jammers to take a land animal into the oceans, but they appear frozen in place or invisible to Jammers who were in the room before them.
- While changing animals, many actions will be unavailable, such as traveling to a different area.
- Many non-Diamond Shop animals had their artwork redesigned in the Choose an Animal menu as of March 30, 2017.
- There is a glitch when purchasing an animal with Gems. If the player does not have enough Gems and clicks on the "Earn Gems" button to play Games until they do have enough Gems, when they exit the games the purchase screen will still say they do not have enough Gems.
- Originally, when a Jammer would switch animals, a sound effect would play as they'd do so. However, this feature was removed during early 2018 for reasons still unknown. It was later restored in February 2019.
- The 3D models for the animals are made in Autodesk Maya.
- It can take up to three months for an animal to be made and completed.
- If the player changes into a flying animal and clicks the mail icon before it changes, the player becomes invisible.
- There is a glitch where an animal with randomly-generated color options and clothing items would appear in a player's inventory. When clicked, the player would switch to a green version of their previous animal, and become 'invisible' after going to a different room.
- If the player buys an animal that is set to be removed, they will still be able to buy that animal after it has been removed.
- During the Beta Testing, non-members could only have one animal and members could only have six animals.
- If a player has more than two animals and their membership expires, they will be prompted upon the next time they log in to choose two non-member animals they would like to continue using. All other animals remain in their inventory, but cannot be accessed unless they renew their membership.
- When the player picks two animals and clicks the "save animals" button, a pop-up appears confirming whether these are the animals the player wants to continue playing with. A voice asking "Are you sure these are the two animals you want to keep playing with?" plays when the pop-up appears. After the player confirms the animals they want, another pop-up appears thanking them for playing AJ Classic and asking if they want to renew their membership. This pop-up is also accompanied by a voice that says "Thanks for playing Animal Jam! Do you want to renew your club membership now?" This is one of very few instances in the game where voiceovers are used.
|Click Expand to view|